The Gabii sa Kabilin or Night of Heritage is held every last Friday of May in time for the Philippine National Heritage Month and International Museum Day.
Inspired by the Long Night of Museums in Germany and other European countries, the Gabii sa Kabilin aims, among others, to:
- Encourage the public to visit museums
- Preserve Cebu’s rich culture and heritage
- Develop an understanding that museums can also be venues of live cultural activities among Cebuanos
- Break the away the misconception that museums are mere repositories of “dead” objects
Started in 2007, the Gabii sa Kabilin started only with four Cebu City museums:
- Casa Gorordo Museum
- Cathedral Museum of Cebu
- Basilica del Sto. Niño Museum
- Fort San Pedro
Its participating museums and heritage sites in Cebu grew to 35 in 2014.
For more information about Gabii sa Kabilin, or to sign up your museum or heritage site for the annual event, contact us.